OHSAS 18000 is an international occupational health and safety management system specification. It comprises two parts, 18001 and 18002 and embraces BS8800 and a number of other publications.
OHSAS helps in a variety of respects... it helps: minimize risk to employees/etc; improve an existing OH&S management system; demonstrate diligence; gain assurance; etc. The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organization that wishes to
- Establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities
- Assure itself of its conformance with its stated OH&S policy
- Demonstrate such conformance to others.
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
- Make a self-determination and declaration of conformance with this OHSAS specification.
- Seek certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organization